Automation and Controls Specialist
An opportunity is available for an Automation Engineer at a prominent natural gas and power company in Springfield, VA. As an Automation and Control Engineer, you will play a vital role in ensuring the safe and reliable delivery of natural gas by engineering and developing automation and control solutions for various gas control and field locations. This includes designing and implementing hardware and software solutions for process control systems, communication infrastructure, and information systems.
*** NO OVERNIGHT TRAVEL * Excellent Benefits * 401k and 401 Savings Plans * Opportunities for Growth * Attractive Bonuses ***
Your responsibilities will include:
- Collaborating with internal organizations to determine system requirements, using your basic knowledge of process control systems, communication infrastructure, and information systems.
- Developing code for Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) to automate and monitor gate stations and plant operations, ensuring optimal flow, pressure, temperature, and odorization of natural gas.
- Maintaining and implementing diverse communication infrastructure, such as cellular, radio, and microwave systems, using various protocols like UDP, TCP/IP, Modbus, and BSAP.
- Troubleshooting and resolving communication issues by working closely with vendors and applying your expertise in communication protocols.
- Creating Human Machine Interface (HMI) through vendor-specific programming languages, providing a graphical interface for gas delivery systems. You will also oversee the development of data archiving applications for reporting and historical analysis.
- Carrying out start-up operations to ensure system requirements are met and that equipment functions within design parameters.
- Providing technical support and training to operations personnel on all industrial automation systems within the company pipeline.
- Collaborating with various departments to ensure system integrity and coordinating resources for efficient project management.
- Developing operation and maintenance procedures, programs, and standards, including wiring schematics.
- Researching and evaluating new products to enhance processes and systems.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, or a related field is required.
- A minimum of 3 years of related experience with industrial control systems is required. (3 positions available)
- Preferably, a working knowledge of control systems in natural gas and propane processing, storage, and handling facilities.
- Knowledge of process control and measurement theory, as well as electronic, pneumatic, and mechanical instrumentation systems, is preferred.
- Experience or on-the-job knowledge of supporting multiple technologies, including client-server architecture, relational databases, and networking (WAN, LAN, and Industrial).
- Demonstrated proficiency in Windows Server 2012 and Windows 7/10, Cisco IOS, SQL server, BSAP, TCP/IP, C++, and MODBUS is preferred.
- Proven ability to use computer software and applications, including AutoCAD and Microsoft Office (Word, Visio, Project, Excel, PowerPoint) for effective communication and data analysis.
- Available to serve on-call on a rotating 24-hour a-day, 7-days-a-week schedule.
This position requires US Citizenship or a Green Card.
Software used: Allen-Bradley PLCs, AB PanelView Plus HMI, Cisco, RUGGEDCOM by Siemens, Nozomi Networks, ClearSCADA/Geo SCADA from Schneider Electric
For compliance with specific state regulations, we have provided an annual base salary range for this position. Please note that this range is indicative and will consider various factors such as work experience, education, and the salaries of current employees in similar roles when extending an offer.