About the position
This position entails the role of a commissioning technician who is responsible for carrying out various tasks related to building commissioning. These tasks include report writing, budgeting, time management, and communication with clients and team members. The commissioning technician will work with minimal supervision and can handle complex engagements, assisting the Director of Engineering in leading client communication.
Key responsibilities of a commissioning technician include:
· Conducting site audits to collect equipment data
· Performing construction observations, reviewing contract documents, devising functional test plans, and conducting tests on various mechanical and control systems.
· Managing all aspects of commissioning projects, including field data collection, design reviews, checklist development, on-site functional testing, performance tests, analysis, calculations, and final report writing
· Witnessing and interpreting equipment performance tests, utilizing testing equipment, and analyzing collected data
· Contributing to engineering teams in delivering commissioning services and energy consulting for complex projects
· Producing comprehensive commissioning reports and effectively communicating findings to clients and stakeholders
· Conducting research on emerging technologies and staying up to date with industry trends
· Actively participating in the development of internal company initiatives
Requirements for the role:
· At least 5 years of direct experience in building commissioning
· A Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace Engineering is highly preferred, although degrees in related fields such as "Building Science" or "Energy Engineering" may be considered. Equivalent technical commissioning training combined with relevant experience will also be considered.
· Preferred certifications include Certified Building Commissioning Agent, CCP, BCxP, CxA (AABC), or equivalent
· Knowledge of local codes, IECC, ASHRAE, LEED, and New York City Local Laws
· Ability to review MEP submittals and navigate between drawing requirements and project specifications
· Proficiency in reviewing equipment sequences and interlocks, as well as developing functional performance tests
· Experience in testing mechanical equipment, including large central plants, and understanding of lighting control systems
· Familiarity with Building Automation Systems and the ability to review graphics, alarms, and trending
· Expertise in using test equipment such as ADM airflow data multimeter, ultrasonic leak detector, ultrasonic flow meter, HDM combustion analyzer, and other common test equipment
· Strong multitasking skills and the ability to work on multiple projects in different phases of design and construction