The Automation Engineer is responsible for supporting and enhancing automated systems in the plant. This role involves troubleshooting and optimizing system performance, as well as collecting and analyzing plant data. The Automation Engineer works closely with the engineering and operations teams to provide control system specifications for plant expansion projects.
- Perform regular maintenance and troubleshooting of control and networking systems.
- Assist in selecting appropriate equipment and control systems for the plant.
- Supervise external controls vendors to ensure proper delivery of work.
- Develop and modify programs to maintain efficient plant processes.
- Create HMI interfaces with clear graphics and process diagrams.
- Implement standards to ensure reliable control systems, including replacing aging or problematic equipment.
- Manage and maintain controls cabinets and documentation.
- Collaborate with IT network engineers to address controls network communications requirements and minimize performance or security issues.
- Work with IT to ensure appropriate security practices and risk mitigation for control systems.
- Manage inventory of spare parts for control systems to reduce downtime risk.
- Ensure proper licensing and support for controls software and hardware.
· Preferably hold a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or a related controls or automation technical field, or have equivalent work experience.
· At least 3 years of experience in controls engineering within the food processing, beverage processing, or dairy processing industry.
· Familiarity with Allen Bradley PLCs, related components, and Logix programming.
· Experience using HMI development tools such as Factory Talk View, Aveva InTouch, and related systems (tag/data servers, historians, etc).
· In-depth understanding of automation technologies, control system design, and troubleshooting methods.
· Strong project management skills with the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.