Director of Breeding Colony
Breeding Colony Director
We are currently seeking a skilled and motivated individual to take on the role of Breeding Colony Director. As the Director, you will be responsible for leading our primate breeding program, overseeing the well-being of our 3,000 animals, and contributing to advancements in primate breeding research.
- Lead and manage various teams such as the Breeding Colony Manager, Veterinary Behaviorists, Nursery Staff, as well as the staff responsible for physical and biological products and husbandry of the breeding colony.
- Collaborate with the veterinary, husbandry, behavior and enrichment, administrative, and facilities staff to ensure the health and welfare of our primates.
- Develop and implement effective breeding strategies and protocols to maintain and improve standards.
- Monitor breeding behaviors and manage the pairing of primates.
- Oversee the selection and acquisition of breeding stock.
- Ensure proper nutrition and enrichment for all primates in the breeding colony.
- Analyze and interpret data from health records to make informed decisions regarding breeding activities and animal care.
- Ensure compliance with regulations and protocols pertaining to animal welfare and research.
- Oversee the day-to-day management of primates in the breeding colony, including their welfare, feeding, monitoring, record keeping, and care.
- Ensure proper feed and water for all primates, monitor their health, and oversee the weaning process.
- Schedule and assign tasks to meet production and quality goals.
- Oversee general maintenance of the facility.
- Maintain the highest standards of animal health and welfare.
- Assess available physical space for potential increases in the number of animals.
- Hold a degree in biology, animal science, or a related field. Alternatively, equivalent experience in DVM, Behavioral Specialists, Primatology, or animal production leadership will be considered.
- Possess a minimum of 5 years of experience in managing a breeding colony.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of animal behavior and reproductive physiology.
- Display proven ability in team management and the development of effective breeding strategies.
- Have excellent communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively with others.
- Knowledgeable about regulations and standards relating to animal welfare and research.
- Maintain accurate and detailed records.
- Be willing to work flexible hours, including weekends and holidays as needed.
- Physical capability for lifting and moving heavy objects, as well as outdoor work.
- Possession of AALAS Certifications of LAT, LATG, or CMAR (preferred but not required).
Benefits and Appreciation:
- Company Paid Holidays
- Employee health benefits, including medical and dental coverage
- Additional benefit options, such as life insurance
- 401K plan with company matching, including the Roth option
- State Income Taxes at 0%
In summary, we are searching for a seasoned Breeding Colony Director to oversee our primate breeding program and ensure the production of high-quality animals. The ideal candidate will possess a strong understanding of animal behavior and reproductive physiology, demonstrate effective team management skills, and excel in communication and collaboration. Alongside this, the candidate should have a comprehensive perspective, analyzing from both macro and micro levels, utilizing technology and available data. Familiarity with regulations and standards concerning animal welfare and research is essential, as is a willingness to work flexible hours. We offer a competitive salary, benefits, and the opportunity to contribute to the development of life-saving therapeutics.