Director of Comparative Medicine
Director of Comparative Medicine - NHP
We are a leading organization in the drug development sector dedicated to pioneering solutions for infectious diseases and gene therapies. Our state-of-the-art bio-secure facility supports a wide range of preclinical programs, driven by our commitment to scientific excellence and innovation.
As the Animal Research Director, you will play a crucial role in shaping the strategic direction and operational management of our comparative medicine department. This pivotal position requires a combination of scientific expertise and leadership finesse, ensuring that our research protocols accurately reflect the complexities of human disease and treatment approaches.
- Strategic Leadership:
- Develop and implement long-term strategies for the comparative medicine department to support the organization's research and development objectives.
- Lead the planning and implementation of operational activities, ensuring efficient and effective achievement of departmental goals.
- Regulatory Compliance:
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory and ethical standards, maintaining essential accreditations and meeting the requirements of AAALAC, USDA, FDA, and other relevant governing bodies.
- Prepare for and oversee compliance audits and reports, ensuring the highest standards of research quality and animal welfare are upheld.
- Research Management:
- Oversee the design and execution of preclinical studies, ensuring their alignment with scientific, regulatory, and ethical standards.
- Provide expert input into the development of animal models for preclinical research, ensuring they are tailored to specific therapeutic targets.
- Operational Excellence:
- Manage day-to-day operations, including budgeting, staffing, and resource allocation, to optimize the performance of the department.
- Integrate new technologies and methodologies to improve research outcomes and operational workflows.
- Team Leadership:
- Lead the recruitment, training, and mentorship of a diverse, multidisciplinary team, fostering a culture of excellence and ethical research practices.
- Design and implement professional development programs to nurture talent within the department.
- Engage with cross-functional teams to ensure strong support for the comparative medicine strategy throughout the organization.
- Maintain open communication channels with internal and external stakeholders, providing regular reports on departmental progress and strategic outcomes.
- Quality Assurance:
- Maintain the highest quality standards in all research activities, continuously auditing and improving processes.
- Make the health and welfare of animals a top priority in all research endeavors.
- Institutional Engagement:
- Actively participate in institutional committees, such as the IACUC, offering expertise on animal welfare and research integrity.
- Hold a DVM degree from an AVMA-accredited program and possess ACLAM certification.
- Have a minimum of 10 years’ experience in a research or laboratory animal facility, including at least 5 years in a leadership role.
- Demonstrate a track record of success in strategic planning and operational management within a comparative medicine or related research environment.
- Possess comprehensive knowledge of regulatory compliance standards in a research setting.
- Show proven leadership qualities with the ability to manage and develop a diverse team.
- Display excellent communication skills, with the capability to engage stakeholders effectively.