Heavy Highway Field Engineer
The Heavy Highway Construction Field Engineer is an integral part of our project operations team. As a Field Engineer, your main responsibility will be to provide support to project staff, Superintendents, and Foreman in order to ensure that the assigned craft-work is well planned, efficient, clearly understood, and properly documented. Effective communication and collaboration with craft supervision, owners, vendors, subcontractors, and project team members are essential for success in this role.
- Participate in the Estimate Turnover Meeting and contribute to the quantity takeoff process.
- Assist in the conversion of the estimate into a control budget and assist in the setup of job files.
- Coordinate and review submittals.
- Support the engineering staff in procuring material suppliers and subcontractors.
- Attend daily and weekly safety meetings and actively participate.
- Manage and perform quantity takeoffs as required.
- Schedule and procure subcontractors and materials.
- Manage subcontractors and suppliers with the guidance of staff, superintendents, and foremen.
- Assist in the development of work plans in collaboration with project engineers, superintendents, and foremen. Continuously monitor work plans.
- Accurately manage quantity and cost reporting, and provide reports to superintendents and foremen.
- Assist in the pricing of change orders when necessary.
- Participate in the project document control process.
- Maintain an accurate record set of project drawings and specifications.
- Contribute to the project closeout process, including final quantities and cost reports, as well as final quantities and payment from the owner.
- Prepare as-built drawings.
- Ensure required documents are properly turned over to the owner.
- Handle miscellaneous tasks and other duties as required.
Required Skills & Experience
- Candidates should possess 1-3 years of recent experience in heavy highway, road, and bridge construction (previous internship with a heavy civil contractor preferred)
- Experience working on medium to large projects (budgets of $10M or more) is required
- A Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering or a similar discipline is preferred
- Proficiency in reading and interpreting construction drawings and specifications
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team