Safety Instrumentation Systems (SIS) Engineer
Location: Lemont, IL
The SIS Engineer position is responsible for providing engineering support and expertise to ensure the safe and reliable management of Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS) throughout the IEC 61511 lifecycle. This role is part of the SIS team and reports to the refinery SIS Leader.
This position does not offer sponsorship. Candidates must be either US Citizens or Green Card holders.
- Collaborate with the Maintenance department to perform upkeep and troubleshooting of installed SIS, including documentation updates, test procedures, support, troubleshooting, critical work reviews, MOCs, bypassing, spare parts recommendations, turnaround scope development, and execution support.
- Develop and track the completion of all SIS testing as per the defined proof test intervals outlined in the Safety Requirements Specification (SRS). This includes both periodic online testing and offline testing during equipment outages and turnarounds.
- Participate in investigations and reviews of SIS events, encompassing failures, demands, and spurious trips, to identify root causes and implement corrective actions.
- Analyze the reliability of the SIS using a Key Performance Indicator (KPI) program and provide recommendations for improvement based on the findings.
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert for SIS and instrumentation during HAZOPs, specifically analyzing Independent Protection Layers (IPLs) and HAZOP recommendations.
- Lead and participate in Functional Safety Assessments (FSAs) as a competent SIS engineer for both new and existing systems.
- Maintain and update SIS documentation, including the Safety Requirements Specification (SRS), datasheets, I&E drawings, FSAs, LOPAs, FATs, validation and proof tests, and more.
- Participate in audits related to SIS, including Mechanical Integrity, PSM, and insurance risk, to ensure compliance with standards and best practices.
- Engineer small expense-ruled SIS efforts, including design, MOC, construction support, and PSI documentation updates. Author Engineering Work Requests (EWRs) for larger capital projects.
- Apply expertise in instrumentation and SIS to all job functions involving instruments, logic solves, valves, and other final elements.
- Develop, review, approve, and update proof test procedures for installed SIS. Evaluate test results and propose corrective action plans as needed.
- Actively participate in Layers of Protection Analysis (LOPAs) for new and modified SIS to ensure the reliability of safety measures.
- Provide technical support, field experience, and best practices to capital project engineers during the planning and execution of SIS projects to facilitate their success.
- Aid turnaround planners in developing SIS scopes based on instrument service history, testing requirements, and the need to rebuild or replace instruments. Ensure readiness of SIS test procedures.
- Select new replacement instrumentation and valves when obsolete, unreliable, or not meeting specifications. Perform Management of Change (MOC) for SIS modifications, including updates to Process Safety Information (PSI) such as datasheets and E/I drawings.
- Review validation test procedures (Site Acceptance Test) for new or modified SIS installations associated with capital projects.
- Collaborate with the Process Controls team to ensure the SIS application programs align with the corresponding SRS and are accurately tested during validation and proof tests.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or Chemical Engineering
- At least 5 years of experience in industrial instrumentation
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in the process industry, with a preference for experience in refining
- A minimum of 2 years of experience with Safety Instrumented Systems
- Active 3rd party SIS certification from exida (CFSE or CFSP) or TÜV (FS Engineer) is preferred
- Certification must be obtained within 12 months of being hired
- Experience working with Distributed Control Systems