Tax Director or Senior Manager
Tax Senior Executive
Location: San Jose, CA
Our well-established and highly profitable regional CPA firm has built a strong reputation for excellence and expertise in the accounting and management consulting industry. By offering a wide range of services and industry specializations, we have become leaders in the field. We take pride in our commitment to client service, professional advancement, and technological innovation.
- Review and approve all tax returns and governmental tax examinations of varying complexity.
- Act as a subject matter expert in a particular discipline or industry.
- Demonstrate advanced technical skills and expertise.
- Manage client service tasks, ensuring assignments are completed within budgeted time.
- Take full responsibility for larger tax returns and delegate tasks to tax preparers as needed.
- Delegate and oversee tax research projects to ensure accurate and efficient results.
- Participate actively in client meetings and tax planning efforts for larger clients.
- Provide guidance on specific tax issues and questions to tax preparers/specialists and A&A staff.
- Handle tax preparation for complex business returns.
- Serve as the main point of contact for specific clients, working directly with them or under the delegation of the Partner.
- Keep firm personnel informed about important tax developments.
- Delegate and manage governmental tax examinations and represent clients before taxing authorities if required.
- Stay familiar with qualifications of tax staff members and review their assignments.
- Supervise tax staff and provide on-the-job training.
- Contribute to staff development through recruiting, performance evaluations, training aids, and professional development programs.
- Ensure smooth flow of tax returns through the preparation system to ensure accuracy and timely delivery.
- Facilitate accurate and timely billing and collection processes.
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of the firm’s philosophy and opinions on tax matters.
- Stay updated on economic and political trends that could impact the business climate.
- Prepare other reports and projects as requested by the partners.
- Research and evaluate tax preparation and research software to make recommendations to partners.
- Contribute to firm practice development by engaging with referral sources, participating in community and industry activities.
- Promote efficient operations and compliance guidelines in managing others.
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of current tax laws, preferably with experience in both SEC and privately held clients across multiple industries.
- Proficiency in computer tax preparation, research, and planning software.
- Strong organizational, prioritization, and deadline management skills.
- Ability to think critically and multitask effectively.
- Develop, coach, and train senior, semi-senior, and staff accountants.
- Be familiar with the qualifications of all tax staff members to address their training needs.
- Participate in reviews and evaluations of the tax department.
- Minimum of seven to ten years of public accounting experience, showing progression in tax complexity, scope, and research.
- At least two years of experience representing clients before taxing authorities.
- Minimum of one year of experience supervising and directing the work of tax preparers.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting required, Master's degree in taxation preferred.
- Completion of minimum forty hours of annual continuing education to maintain technical and business skills.
- Current and valid certified public accountant's license required.
- Must be a member in good standing with the American Institute of CPAs.