Head of Taxation - Los Angeles, CA
At our well-established and highly profitable regional CPA firm, we are known for our excellence and expertise in the accounting and management consulting industry. We provide the services of a large firm while maintaining a blended environment of practices, services, and industry specializations. With our renowned industry leadership and commitment to client service and technological advancement, we foster a culture of learning and growth through targeted development and leadership programs.
- Review and approve all tax returns and governmental tax examinations, regardless of complexity, ensuring technical accuracy.
- Act as a subject matter expert in a particular discipline or industry.
- Showcase advanced technical skills and expertise.
- Manage client service tasks to ensure timely completion within budget.
- Take full responsibility for larger tax returns and delegate tasks to tax preparers as needed.
- Oversee and delegate tax research projects to ensure accuracy and efficiency.
- Play an active role in client meetings and tax planning efforts, supporting the A&A Department with larger clients.
- Provide expertise and support to tax managers, preparers/specialists, and A&A staff for specific tax issues.
- Handle the preparation of complex business tax returns.
- Assume client service responsibility for specific clients, either directly or through delegated authority from the Partner.
- Keep firm personnel updated on important tax and tax developments affecting clients.
- Manage and represent clients during governmental tax examinations.
- Review staff assignments and ensure appropriate qualifications.
- Supervise tax staff, provide on-the-job training, and contribute to recruiting and performance evaluations.
- Ensure smooth flow of tax returns through the preparation system, maintaining accuracy and timely delivery.
- Oversee billing and collection processes to ensure accuracy and timeliness.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of the firm's philosophy and opinions on tax matters.
- Stay updated on general economic and political trends that could affect the business climate.
- Prepare additional reports and projects as requested by partners.
- Research and evaluate tax preparation and research software for partner recommendations.
- Contribute to firm practice development through involvement with referral sources and industry activities.
- Promote efficient operations and compliance guidelines within the firm.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrate strong knowledge of current tax laws, including experience with SEC and privately held clients.
- Proficient in using computer tax preparation, research, and planning software programs.
- Exceptional organizational skills to manage work, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to think critically and multitask effectively.
- Develop, coach, and train Manager, senior, semi-seniors, and staff accountants.
- Understand the qualifications of all Tax staff members to meet their training needs and provide instruction.
- Participate in reviews and evaluations of the tax department.
- At least seven to ten years of experience in public accounting, with a demonstrated progression in tax complexity, scope, and research.
- Minimum of two years' experience representing clients before taxing authorities.
- Minimum of one year supervising and directing the work of tax preparers.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting required; Master's degree in taxation preferred.
- Completion of at least forty hours of continuing education annually to maintain technical and business skills.
- Valid and current certified public accountant's license required.
- Member in good standing with the American Institute of CPAs.