As a Maintenance Engineer, you will be the primary contact for mechanical systems in our production areas. We are seeking a qualified candidate in the local Houston, TX area, and no relocation assistance will be provided.
DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES
Ø Operations Support
· Collaborate with Operations and Maintenance teams to resolve day-to-day issues, ensuring the safe and reliable operation of units.
· Participate in production team meetings to stay informed about key activities and unit status.
· Conduct routine field walkthroughs with operations, maintenance, and inspection teams to proactively identify equipment concerns and provide recommendations.
· Provide essential support during stabilization and recovery efforts following operational upsets.
Ø Critical Work Processes
· Manage Threats and Opportunities (MTO): Identify and prioritize threats and opportunities related to mechanical equipment, propose potential solutions using problem-solving skills, and take action to resolve them.
· Management of Change (MOC): Develop technical design bases, ensure technical integrity and hazard screening of design, assist in maintenance planning and execution, lead safety reviews, and oversee change close-out activities.
· Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM): Improve asset care strategies for fixed and rotating equipment using standardized methodologies.
· Maintenance Execution (ME): Ensure compliance for critical planned maintenance, assess deferral justifications, and identify optimization opportunities.
· Process Safety Compliance: Implement Process Safety recommendations for the assigned production areas.
Ø Technical Delivery
· Use technical expertise to outline detailed changes to mechanical equipment. Ensure compliance with industry standards and company design practices for all plant modifications.
· Assess the condition of Mechanical Equipment using:
· Ensure Safe Production (ESP) – Review production unit shift reports and identify design operating window exceedances.
· Manage Equipment Care (MEC) – Complete compliance inspections and implement asset care strategies for mechanical equipment.
· Proactive Technical Monitoring – Review exceptions from Operations sensory rounds, assess vibration and oil sample analysis results, and recommend proactive corrective actions.
· Identify and address gaps in technical competence for rotating and/or static equipment.
· Promote a causal reasoning mindset within the production team.
· Investigate failures related to mechanical equipment issues.
· Determine root causes of failures and implement robust solutions to prevent reoccurrence.
· Identify opportunities for waste reduction through LEAN and other continuous improvement methodologies.
Ø Business Planning
· Contribute to the multi-year major maintenance plan for the production area. Ensure it drives continuous improvement in asset integrity, reliability, and profitability.
· Identify and prioritize mechanical equipment improvements within business plan portfolios.
Ø Project Management
· Update relevant stakeholders on project statuses and upcoming work scopes. Contribute to decisions that prioritize the best interests of the site.
· Evaluate the organization's capabilities and allocate work to the appropriate teams based on size and complexity.
Ø Turnaround Support
· Assist in developing work scopes and overseeing field execution for mechanical equipment during turnarounds.
· Coordinate mechanical equipment surveillance activities.
· Participate in pre-startup safety reviews and commissioning activities for production units.
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS
v Bachelor’s degree in engineering, preferably in mechanical engineering.
v 3-10 years of experience in the manufacturing industry.
v Familiarity with maintenance and reliability concepts, including a strong understanding of engineering and maintenance processes.
v Knowledge of risk assessment, Reliability Centered Maintenance, Management of Change, and structured problem-solving techniques.
v Strong troubleshooting, analytical, verbal, and written communication skills, with an ability to collaborate with individuals from diverse backgrounds and all levels of the organization. Proven ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects.
v Demonstrated ability to work effectively within teams to achieve common goals.
v Desire for ongoing development of technical skills in both static and rotating equipment knowledge areas.
v Working knowledge of relevant industry codes and standards, and their practical application within refining and petrochemical industries.
v Certified Maintenance & Reliability Professional (CMRP) certification is a plus.